School Leavers Careers Opportunities & Development - Advice Guidance - Information & News From Your Career Guide

A Guide to Your Career

Funding your study

Funding your study


Education Maintenance Allowance: If you’re 16, 17 or 18 you may be entitled to an EMA worth up to £30 per week. EMA is paid directly into your bank account on a weekly basis during term time to help with your studies. You may already be receiving one. If you are not, and want to know more, visit

Course fees: If you go to university or college to study for a degree, you will probably have to pay tuition fees. The maximum these can be is £3,290 for the 2010/2011 academic year. You can get a student loan to pay for this (which will not need to be paid back until you have finished your course and are earning money).

Grants: If your household income is between £25,000 and £50,000 you’ll be eligible for a maintenance grant of up to £2,906. Grants don’t have to be paid back and the amount you get depends on your household income. If you are 19 or over and living in Wales, you may be eligible for an Assembly Learning Grant (ALG), a payment of up to £1,500 – again, depending on your household income.

Scholarships and bursaries: Many schools, universities and colleges operate scholarships for exceptional students and/or bursaries those in financial need. These do not have to be paid back. You can usually find out about what scholarships an institution offers by contacting it directly or checking its website. Many scholarships offered by colleges and universities can be found on the Student Money website

Student loans: There are two types of Student Loan available from the government: one for tuition fees (up to £3,290) and one for living costs while you study. The maximum amount you can borrow depends on your household income and where you study, but can be up to £4,950 for maintenance (and up to £6,928 if you live away from home in London).

Find more information on student finance at if you live in England and if you live in Wales.